Ginecología y Obstetricia de México

Contents by Year, Volume and Issue

Table of Contents

General Information

Instructions for Authors

Message to Editor

Editorial Board

>Journals >Ginecología y Obstetricia de México >Year 2015, Issue 01

Montoya-Romero JJ, Schiavon R, Troncoso E, Díaz-Olavarrieta C, Karver T
Induced abortion in Mexico: what do Mexican Ob/Gyn know, think and do
Ginecol Obstet Mex 2015; 83 (01)

Language: Español
References: 21
Page: 23-31
PDF: 434.86 Kb.

[Full text - PDF]


Background: The causals for legal abortion in Mexico vary as established by the Constitution of each State; from 2007 it is legal in Mexico City.
Objective: To identify knowledge, attitudes and practice of abortion between gynecologists and obstetricians.
Material and methods: Survey study conducted between some of the gynaeco-obstetricians attended the 64th Mexican Congress of Gynecology and Obstetrics held in Mexico City, October 2013.
Results: From the 1,085 respondents, 77% correctly identified that abortion is legal accord to Constitutional Signs of each State; 17.5% said it is never legal and 5.7% thought that is always legal. The 67% comment that public institutions should have infrastructure and trained medical personnal to legal abortion practice. The 72% response they would attend or denounce the woman who underwent an abortion outlawed. The remaining 28% showed negative attitudes, from informing the couple or parents (18%), scold women (2%) or reporting it to the authorities (8%). In 39%, they felt that the medical profession who practice discriminates abortions; 28% admit stigmatize partener and 27% feel stigmatized if performing abortions. Percentage high hospitalized patients in case of early abortions, for surgical or medical treatment.
Conclusions: It is necessary to increase and improve knowledge technical and legal about abortion, especially among gynaeco-obstetricians, they are who responsibility to comply about prescribed by law, in accordance with international recommendations and the exercise of reproductive rights of women.

Key words: Health service delivery, medical abortion, surgical abortion, legal indications for abortion.

>Journals >Ginecología y Obstetricia de México >Year 2015, Issue 01
 Search   Advanced 

· Journal Index 
· Links 
Copyright 2010