2003, Number 1
Preliminary observation: Effects of dietary supplementation with brewer’s yeast (Saccharomyces uvarum) on the respiratory burst of neutrophils in creole horses in training
PDF size: 70.25 Kb.
ABSTRACTThis study was undertaken to examine the effect of dietary supplementation with brewer’s yeast (Saccharomyces uvarum) over the respiratory burst of peripheral blood leukocytes of Creole horses in training. The control group received a daily ration including 3 kg of oat grain and 4.5 kg alfalfa hay. The treatment group received the same ration supplemented with 0.35 kg brewer’s yeast for 120 days. All horses performed the same exercise routine. Neutrophil respiratory burst was studied at the beginning of the experiment (BASAL) and after 120 days (D120) using flow cytometry. The oxidation of dihydrorhodamine 123 was measured by the increased fluorescence of cells stimulated with phorbol myristate acetate (PMA). On day 120, an enhanced response was observed in brewer’s yeast-supplemented horses (548 ± 28 FAU) when compared with the basal level (483 ± 37 FAU), while the control group did not show significant variations (385 ± 86 FAU vs. 406 ± 3 FAU). These preliminary results suggest that a diet supplemented with brewer’s yeast improves the oxidative capacity of neutrophils.
Hines MT, Schott HC, Bayly WM, Leroux AJ. Exercise and immunity: a review with emphasis on the horse. J Vet Intern Med 1996;10:280-289.
2. Horohov DW, Keadle TL, Pourciau SS, Littlefield-Chabaud MA, Kamerling SG, Keowen ML, et al. Mechanism of exercise-induced augmentation of lymphokine active killer (LAK) cell activity in the horse. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 1996;53:221-233.
3. Tizard I. Inmunología veterinaria. 4a ed. México (DF): Interamericana-McGraw-Hill, 1994.
4. Van Eeden SF, Klut ME, Walker BAM, Hogg JC. The use of flow cytometry to measure neutrophil function. J Immunol Methods 1999;232:23-43.
5. Wong CW, Smith SE, Thong YH, Opdebeeck JP, Thornton JR. Effects of exercise stress on various immune functions in horses. Am J Vet Res 1992;53:1414-1417.
6. Raidal SL, Love DN, Bailey GD, Rose RJ. Effects of single bouts of moderate and high intensity exercise and training on equine peripheral blood neutrophil functions. Res Vet Sci 2000;68:141-146.
7. Nieman DC. Exercise and resistance to infection. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1998;76:573-580.
8. Nieman DC. Exercise and immune function. Rec Dev Sport Med 1999;27:73-80.
9. Pedersen BK, Bruunsgaard H, Jensen M, Krzywkowski, K, Ostrowski K. Exercise and immune function: effect of ageing and nutrition. Proc Nutr Soc 1999;58:733-742.
Lewis LD. Alimentación y cuidado del caballo. Buenos Aires, Argentina: Inter-Médica SAICI, 1991.
Powell DG, Jackson SG. El caballo, salud y cuidados. Zaragoza, España: Acribia, 1994.
Tisserand JL. Alimentación práctica del caballo. Zaragoza, España: Acribia, 1981.
Bishop NC, Blannim AK, Walsh NP, Robson PJ, Gleeson M. Nutritional aspects of immunosuppression in athletes. Sport Med 1999;28:151-176.
National Research Council. Nutrient requeriments of horses. 5th ed. Washington (DC): National Academy Press, 1989.
Ozkan H, Olgun N, Sasmaz E, Abacioglu H, Okuyan M, Cevik N. Nutrition, immunity and infections: T lymphocyte subpopulations in protein-energy malnutrition. J Trop Pediatr 1993;39:257-260.
Pyne DB. Regulation of neutrophil function during exercise. Sport Med 1994;17:245-258.
Johannisson A, Grondahl G, Demmers S, Jensen-Waern M. Flow-cytometric studies of the phagocytic capacities of equine neutrophils. Acta Vet Scand 1995;36:553-562.
Zielinska M, Fenrych W. The application of a flow cytometric assay for evaluation of phagocytosis of neutrophils. Acta Biochimica Pololonica 1997;44:121-125.
Paz S, Fornari MC, Pellegrini AG, Diez RA. Respiratory burst of peripheral blood neutrophils of healthy and infected horses and foals. Sixth International Veterinary Symposium; 15-20 July 2001; Uppsala, Sweden. Uppsala, Sweden: International Union of Immunological Societies, 2001:171.
Jensen-Waern M, Lindberg A, Johannisson A, Grondahl G, Lindgren JA, Essen-Gustavsson B. The effects of endurance ride on metabolism and neutrophil function. Equine Vet J 1999;30:605-609.
Buschmann H, Baumann M. Alterations of cellular immunoresponse during intensive training of event horses. Zentralbl Veterinärmed [B] 1991;38:90-94.
Castell LM, Newsholme EA. The effects of oral glutamine supplementation on athletes after prolonged, exhaustive exercise. Nutrition 1997;13:738-742.
Castell LM, Newsholme EA. Glutamine and effects of exhaustive exercise upon the immune response. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1998;76:524-532.
Halaihel N, Gerbaud D, Vasseur M, Alvarado F. Heterogeneity of pig intestinal D-glucose transport systems. Am J Physiol 1999;277:C1130-C1141.