2006, Number 3
PDF size: 72.85 Kb.
ABSTRACTA series of seven patients with severe hypertrigly-ceridemia (triglyceride levels › 1000 mg/dL) is presented. Four of the patients were diabetics, two of them were in treatment with anti-retroviral drugs, and three of them presented acute pancreatitis. In all patients intravenous infusion of insulin was initiated at a rate of 0.05-2 U/kg/day. Two and a half days after this treatment, the serum triglyceride level remained lower than 400 mg/dL. There were no complications during the treatment. The long treatment included basal insulin, fibrates and avoidance of pharmacotherapy. Insulin therapy for diabetic and non-diabetic patients with severe hypertrigly-ceridemia is an effective and safe treatment.
1. Kahn R, Buse J, Ferranini E, Stern M. The meta-bolic syndrome: time for a critical appraisal. Diabetes Care 2005;28:2289-2304.
2. Dumbar RL, Rader DJ. Demistifying triglycerides: a practical approach for the clinician. Cleve Clin J Med 2005;8:661-680.
3. Broede UC, Rader DJ. Gene therapy for lipo-protein disorders. Expert Opin Biol Ther 2005;8: 1029-1038.
4. Jabbar M, Zuhri-Yafi M, Larrea J. Insulin therapy for non diabetic patient with severe hypertriglyceri-demia. J Am Coll Nutr 1999;17:458-461.
5. Mkhail N, Triverdi K, Page C, Wali S, Cope D. Treatment of severe hypertriglyceridemia in non diabetic patients with insulin. Am J Emerg Med 2005;23:415-417.
6. Tamez-Pérez HE, Gómez-de Ossio MD, Tamez-Peña AL. Lipotoxicidad en la diabetes mellitus tipo 2. Med Interna Mex 2004;20:341-346.
7. Isley W. Tough hipertrigliceridemia cases. Endocrine Society 87, Annual Meeting 2005. p. 173-178.
8. Green ML. Evaluation and management of dislipi-demia in patients with HIV infection. J Gen Intern Med 2002;17:797-810.
9. Loh JA, Rickels MR, Williams J. Total parenteral nutrition in management of hyperlipidemic pan-creatitis during pregnancy. Endocr Pract 2005; 11:325-330.
Jonker J, Mohrschladt M, Westendorp R, Laarse A, Smelt A. Severe hypertriglyceridemia with insulin resistance is associated with systemic inflammation: reversal bezafibrate therapy in a randomized con-trolled trial. Am J Med 2002;112:275-280.
Krinsley JS. Effect of an intensive glucose manage-ment protocol on the mortality of critically ill adult patients. Mayo Clin Proc 2004;9:992-1000.
Levetan CS. Effect of hyperglycemia on stroke outcomes. Endocr Pract 2004;10(Suppl 2):34-39.