>Cirugía y Cirujanos
>Year 2005, Issue 1
Cárdenas-Lailson LE, Torres-Gómez B, Medina-Sánchez S, Mijares-García JM, Hernández-Calleros J
Epidemiology of xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis
Cir Cir 2005; 73 (1)
PDF: 50.89 Kb.
Objective: In order to study patients with a diagnosis of xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis (XCG), we analyzed their demographics, epidemiology and clinical data.
Material and methods: We analyzed the clinical records of patients with a histopathologic diagnosis of XGC during a period of 6 years, obtaining demographic, epidemiologic and clinical data.
Results: Of a total of 1425 cholecystectomies performed between January 1991 and December 1996, we found 35 cases of XGC (2.4%). Twenty six (74%) were women (median age: 44 years), 60% were from a low socioeconomic group, 34% had a history a alcoholism and smoking, and 25 patients (71%) had a blood type of O positive. Thirteen patients (37%) presented obstructive jaundice, 11 had dilatation of the choledocus and were treated with ERCP. Of the 35 cholecystectomies, 15 were urgent and 20 elective. Eight were operated laparoscopically and two were converted because of firm adhesions. We had five transoperative complications.
Discussion: Pre-operative XGC diagnosis is difficult, often mistaken for gallbladder cancer. The incidence in our sudy (2.4%) is higher than reports in industrialized countries (0.7–1.8%), with a female predominance. The most frequent clinical presentation is that of chronic cholecystitis, but we found a high percentage of patients with obstructive jaundice. We had 0% mortality and 26% morbidity, and no association was found between XGC and gallbladder cancer.
||xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis, epidemiology, jaundice.
Goodman ZD, Ishak KG. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis. Am J Surg Pathol 1981;5:653-659.
2. Christensen AH, Ishak KG. Benign tumors and pseudotumors of the gallbladder. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1970;90:423-432.
3. Yoshida J, Chijiiwa K, Shimura H, Yamaguchi K, Kinukawa N, Honda H, Tanaka M. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis versus gallbladder cancer: clinical differentiating factors. Am Surg 1997;63:367-371.
4. Houston JP, Collins MC, Cameron I, Reed MW, Parsons MA, Roberts KM. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis. Br J Surg 1994;81:1030-1032.
5. Shukla S, Krishnani N, Jain M, Pandey R, Gupta RK. Xanthogranu-lomatous cholecystitis. Fine needle aspiration cytology in 17 cases. Acta Cytol 1997;41:413-418.
6. Howard, TJ, Bennion RS, Thompson JE Jr. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis: a chronic inflammatory pseudotumor of the gallbladder. Am Surg 1991;57:821-824.
7. Benbow EW. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis. Br J Surg 1990;77: 255-256.
8. Reyes CV, Jablokow VR, Reid R. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis: report of seven cases. Am Surg 1981;47:322-325.
9. Fligial S, Lewin KJ. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1982;106:302-304.
10. Chun KA, Ha HK, Yu ES, Kim KW, Lee DH, Kang SW, Auh YH. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis: CT features with emphasis on differentiation from gallbladder carcinoma. Radiology 1997;203:93-97.
11. Yamaguchi K, Masazumi T. Subclinical gallbladder carcinoma. Am J Surg 1992;163:382-386.
12. Benbow EW, Taylor PM. Simultaneous xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis and primary adenocarcinoma of gallbladder. Histopathology 1988;12:672-675.
13. Dao AH, Wong SW, Adkins RB. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis: a clinical and pathologic study of twelve patients. Am Surg 1989;55:32-35.
14. Hales MS, Miller TR. Diagnoses of xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis by fine needle aspiration biopsy: a case report. Acta Cytol 1987;31:493-496.
15. Roberts KM, Parsons MA. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis: clinicopathological study of 13 cases. J Clin Pathol 1987;40:412-417.
16. Guzmán-Valdivia G. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis: 15 years experience. World J Surg 2004;28:254-257.
17. Koh T, Taniguchi H, Yamaguchi A. Differential diagnosis of gallbladder cancer using positron emission tomography with fluorine-18-labeled fluoro-deoxyglucose (FDG-PET). J Surg Oncol 2003;84: 74-81.
18. Jacobson BC, Pitman MB, Brugge WR. EUS-guided FNA for the diagnosis of gallbladder masses. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;57:251-254.
19. Kwon AH, Matsui Y, Uemura Y. Surgical procedures and histopathologic findings for patients with xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis. J Am Coll Surg 2004;199:204-210.
>Cirugía y Cirujanos
>Year 2005, Issue 1