Entrar/Registro  
HOME SPANISH
 
Revista Médica del Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social
   
MENU

Contents by Year, Volume and Issue

Table of Contents

General Information

Instructions for Authors

Message to Editor

Editorial Board






>Journals >Revista Médica del Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social >Year 2008, Issue 4


Villaseñor-Sierra A, Caballero-Hoyos JR, Jáuregui-Lomelí JJ, Flores-Sánchez J, Martínez-Sandoval F
Multivariate Model to Predict Streptococcus Pyogenes Tonsillitis
Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 2008; 46 (4)

Language: Español
References: 28
Page: 383-390
PDF: 322.10 Kb.


Full text




ABSTRACT

Objective: to develop a multivariate model to predict the Streptococcus pyogenes isolation in patients with acute tonsillitis.
Methods: cross-sectional analytic study on patients with acute tonsillitis without a recent history of antimicrobial consumption. We evaluated 14 signs and 18 symptoms. A pharyngeal culture was realized on 5 % sheep blood agar. Group A streptococci was identified by standard methods. Statistical analysis: sensitivity, specificity, predictive values, χ2, p, Fisher’s exact test, crude and adjusted odds ratio (OR) with 95 % CI using dichotomical logistic regression with direct method and Hosmer and Lemeshow-goodness-fit test.
Results: there were 213 participants, 37 % were males; a mean age of 14.9 years. We isolated Streptococcus pyogenes in 15 %, and 84 % of them had received antimicrobials. We identified signs and symptoms associated with Streptococcus pyogenes isolation: painful swallowing (OR = 4.45, 95 % CI = 1.13-17.53); tonsils with exudates (OR = 3.20, 95 % CI = 1.22-8.43); smelly breath (OR = 2.78, 95 % CI = 1.09-7.10); painful neck nodes (OR = 2.70, 95 % CI = 1.05-6.96). The presence of nasal symptoms was a protective factor (OR = 0.25, 95 % CI = 0.09-0.71).
Conclusions: the prevalence of Streptococcus pyogenes tonsillitis was similar to other reports. We found signs and symptoms associated to Streptococcus pyogenes isolation that allowed us to elaborate a decision algorithm.


Key words: tonsillitis, Streptococcus pyogenes, algorithm.


REFERENCIAS

  1. Bisno AL. Acute pharyngitis: etiology and diagnosis. Pediatrics 1996;97(6 Pt 2):949-954.

  2. Villaseñor-Sierra A, Santos-Preciado JI. Infecciones de las vías respiratorias superiores. En: Villaseñor-Sierra A, Santos-Preciado JI, editores. Infecciones de las vías respiratorias superiores. México: Upjohn; 1995. p. 8-12.

  3. Sistema Nacional de Vigilancia Epidemiológica. Casos nuevos de enfermedades de notificación semanal hasta la semana 52 de 2005. Infecciones respiratorias agudas. Epidemiologia 2006;23(1): 1-43.

  4. Bartlett JG. The common cold. En: Bartlett JG, editors. Management of respiratory tract infections. Baltimore, Maryland: Williams and Wilkins; 1997. p. 150-171.

  5. Centor RM, Dalton HP, Campbell MS, Lynch MR, Watlington AT, Garner BK. Rapid diagnosis of streptococcal pharyngitis in adult emergency room patients. J Gen Intern Med 1986;1(4): 248-251.

  6. Centor RM, Witherspoon JM, Dalton HP, Brody CE, Link K. The diagnosis of strep throat in adults in the emergency room. Med Decis Making 1981; 1(3):239-246.

  7. Dajani A, Taubert K, Ferrieri P, Peter G, Shulman S. Treatment of acute streptococcal pharyngitis and prevention of rheumatic fever: a statement for health professionals. Committee on Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, the American Heart Association. Pediatrics 1995;96(4):758-764.

  8. Gordis L. The virtual disappearance of rheumatic fever in the United States: lessons in the rise and fall of disease. Circulation 1985;72(6):1155-1162.

  9. Carapetis JR, Currie BJ, Kaplan EL. Epidemiology and prevention of group A streptococcal infections: acute respiratory tract infections, skin infections, and their sequelae at the close of the twentieth century. Clin Infect Dis 1999;28205-210.

  10. Clancy CM, Centor RM, Campbell MS, Dalton HP. Rational decision making based on history: adult sore throats. J Gen Intern Med 1988;3(3): 213-217.

  11. Reyes H, Guiscafré H, Pérez-Cuevas R, Muñoz O, Giono S, Flores A, et al. Diagnóstico de faringoamigdalitis estreptocóccica: ¿criterio clínico o coaglutinación? Bol Med Hosp Infant Mex 1991; 48(9):627-636.

  12. Attia M, Zaoutis T, Eppes S, Klein J, Meier F. Multivariate predictive models for group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal pharyngitis in children. Acad Emerg Med 1999;6(1):8-13.

  13. McIsaac WJ, White D, Tannenbaum D, Low DE. A clinical score to reduce unnecessary antibiotic use in patients with sore throat. CMAJ 1998;158(1):75-83.

  14. Carranza-Martínez MI, Valdéz-Croda O, Jaspersen- Gastelum V, Chavolla-Magaña R, Villaseñor-Sierra A. Identificación de signos y síntomas pivote en amigdalitis estreptocócica. Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc 2006; 44(6):525-530.

  15. Bisno AL, Gerber MA, Gwaltney JM, Jr, Kaplan EL, Schwartz RH. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis. Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2002;35(2):113-125.

  16. Alberta Medical Association. Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute Pharyngitis, 2006 update. Alberta Clinical Practice Guidelines Program. Disponible en http://www.topalberta doctors. org/TOP/CPG/AcutePharyngitis/ Acute Pharyngitis.htm

  17. Flores-Hernández S, Trejo y Pérez JA, Reyes-Morales H, Pérez-Cuevas R, Guiscafré-Gallardo H. Guía clínica para el diagnóstico, tratamiento y prevención de las infecciones respiratorias agudas. En: Reyes-Morales H, Pérez-Cuevas R, Trejo y Pérez JA, editores Guías de práctica clínica para medicina familiar. México: El Manual Moderno; 2004. p. 85-99.

  18. Isemberg HD, Baron EJ, D’Amato RF, Johnson RC, Murray PR, Rodgers FG, et al. Recommendations for the isolation of bacteria from clinical specimens. En: Balows A, Hausler WJ, Jr, Herrmann KL, Isenberg HD, Shadomy HJ, editors. Manual of clinical microbiology. Fifth edition. Washington, DC: American Society for Microbiology; 1991. p. 216-221.

  19. Forbes BA, Sahm DF, Weissfeld AS. Streptococcus, enterococcus, and similar organisms. En: Forbes BA, Sahm DF, Weissfeld AS, editors. Bailey and Scott’s diagnostic microbiology. Tenth edition. St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby; 1998. p. 620-635.

  20. Rodríguez-Osuna J. Métodos de muestreo. Madrid: Centro de Investigaciones Sociológicas; 1991.

  21. Wasson JH, Sox HC, Neff RK, Goldman L. Clinical prediction rules. Applications and methodological standards. N Engl J Med 1985; 313(13):793-799.

  22. Johnson DR, Stevens DL, Kaplan EL. Epidemiologic analysis of group A streptococcal serotypes associated with severe systemic infections, rheumatic fever, or uncomplicated pharyngitis. J Infect Dis 1992;166374-382.

  23. Kaplan EL, Wotton JT, Johnson DR. Dynamic epidemiology of group A streptococcal serotypes associated with pharyngitis. Lancet 2001;358(9290): 1334-1337.

  24. Cherry JD. Pharyngitis (pharyngitis, tonsillitis, tonsillopharyngitis and nasopharyngitis). En: Feigin RD, Cherry JD, editors. Textbook of pediatric infectious diseases. Third edition. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 1992. p. 159-166.

  25. Bisno AL, Gerber MA, Gwaltney JM, Jr., Kaplan EL, Schwartz RH. Diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis: a practice guideline. Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 1997;25(3):574-583.

  26. Shulman ST. Streptococcal pharyngitis: diagnostic considerations. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1994;13567-571.

  27. Ransohoff DF, Feinstein AR. Problems of spectrum and bias in evaluating the efficacy of diagnostic tests. N Engl J Med 1978;299(17): 926-930.

  28. el Kholy A, Sorour AH, Houser HB, Wannamaker LW, Robins M, Poitras JM, et al. A three-year prospective study of streptococcal infections in a population of rural Egyptian school children. J Med Microbiol 1973;6(1):101-110.






>Journals >Revista Médica del Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social >Year 2008, Issue 4
 

· Journal Index 
· Links 






       
Copyright 2019