Acta Ortopédica Mexicana

Morales-Suárez CJ, Reyes-Gallardo A, López-Gavito E
Total talar dislocation. Case report, 15-month follow-up and literature review
Acta Ortop Mex 2012; 26 (1)

Language: Español
References: 16
Page: 39-44
PDF: 188.45 Kb.

[Fulltext - PDF]

ABSTRACT

Total talar dislocation is an uncommon injury. The literature reports an incidence rate of 2% of ankle and foot injuries. In 70% of cases it is an open injury, and there are very few documented and published cases belonging to the remaining 30%. The objective of this research work is to contribute our experience in the treatment of talar enucleation by presenting a case followed-up for 15 months, with detection of the expected complications for this type of injury, and an appropriate course. An extensive search was done of review articles on this condition in the PUBMED and MEDLINE data bases and the OVID search engine. The results obtained were compared and the main sequelae of this condition were identified.


Key words: foot, ankle, dislocation, surgery, complications.


REFERENCES

  1. Burston JL, Isenegger P, Zellweger R: Open total talus dislocation: clinical and functional outcomes: a case series. J Trauma 2010; 68(6): 1453-8.

  2. Citak M, Koulalis D, Haentjes J, Suero EM, Gaulke R, Krettek C, Hüfner T: Complete dislocation of the talus: a case report using intra­operative 3d. Trauma Department, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany. Fluoroscopy Technol Health Care 2010; 18(2): 123-8.

  3. Van Opstal N, Vandeputte G: Traumatic talus extrusion: case reports and literature review. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Heilig Hart Hospital, Lier, Belgium. Acta Orthop Belg 2009; 75(5): 699-704.

  4. Camarda L, Martorana U, D’Arienzo M: Posterior subtalar dislocation. Orthopedic and Traumatology Unit, University of Palermo, Via del Vespro, Palermo, Italy. Orthopedics 2009; 32(7): 530. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20090527-25.

  5. De Palma L, Santucci A, Marinelli M, Borgogno E, Catalani A: Clinical outcome of closed isolated subtalar dislocations. Clinica Ortopedica, Cattedra di Ortopedia e Traumatologia, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria, Ospedali Riuniti Ancona Italy. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2008; 128(6): 593-8. Epub 2007 Oct 2.

  6. Wagner R, Blattert TR, Weckbach A: Talar dislocations. Wuerzburg University Hospital, Germany. Injury 2004; 35(Suppl 2): SB36-45.

  7. Gulan G, Sestan B, Jotanović Z, Madarević T, Mikacević M, Ravlić-Gulan J, Rapan S, Jovanović S: Open total talar dislocation with extrusion (missing talus). Clinic for Orthopaedic Surgery Lovran, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia. Coll Antropol 2009; 33(2): 669-72.

  8. Sharda P, DuFosse J: Lateral subtalar dislocation. Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital of North Tees, Hardwick, Stockton on Tees, TS19 8PE, United Kingdom. Orthopedics 2008; 31(7): 718.

  9. Ménétrey J, Fritschy D: Subtalar subluxation in ballet dancers. Clinique and Policlinique d’Orthopédie, Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève Switzerland. Am J Sports Med 1999; 27(2): 143-9.

  10. Jerome JT, Varghese M, Sankaran B: Anteromedial subtalar dislocation. Department of Orthopedics, St Stephen’s Hospital, Delhi, India. J Foot Ankle Surg 2007; 46(1): 52-4.

  11. Garofalo R, Moretti B, Ortolano V, Cariola P, Solarino G, Wettstein M, Mouhsine E: Peritalar dislocations: a retrospective study of 18 cases. Department of Orthopaedic and Traumatology, University of Lauuzana Switzerland. J Foot Ankle Surg 2004; 43(3): 166-72.

  12. Kou JX, Fortin PT: Commonly missed peritalar injuries. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Walnut Creek, CA. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2009; 17(12): 775-86.

  13. Jungbluth P, Wild M, Hakimi M, Gehrmann S, Djurisic M, Windolf J, Muhr G, Kälicke T: Isolated subtalar dislocation. Department of Trauma and Hand Surgery, Heinrich Heine University Hospital Duesseldorf, Germany. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2010; 92(4): 890-4.

  14. Jerome JT: Antero-lateral subtalar dislocation. Department of Orthopedics, St. Stephen’s Hospital, Delhi, India. Foot Ankle Surg 2008; 14(1): 36-9. Epub 2007 Oct 17.

  15. Naranje S, Mittal R: Chronic closed talus dislocation: a rare presentation and treatment dilemma. Department of Orthopedics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. Orthopedics 2010; 33(2): 123-5. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20100104-29.

  16. Gorman M, Ahluwalia G, Laughlin R: Subtalar dislocation following ankle arthrodesis: a report of three cases. Wright State University, Orthopaedic Surgery, Dayton, OH.USA. Foot Ankle Int 2005; 26(8): 656-9.