2011, Number 2
PDF size: 302.57 Kb.
ABSTRACTIntroduction: Fetal malnutrition is a worldwide problem, with a calculated prevalence of 10.9% in neonatal populations belonging to developed countries, while that of underdeveloped countries could fluctuate from 35% to 40%. Objective: The objective of this study consisted of the clinical assessment of the nutritional status of term newborns receiving their attention in a second level health institution representative of the community. Material and methods: A cross-sectional study was performed which included 460 term newborns at the Hospital Universitario of Saltillo. The variables utilized were neonatal somatometry, gestational age according to the Capurro method, the application of the Brenner nomogram, and the CANSCORE evaluation. Data were analyzed through the STATISTICA 8.0 package. Results: The number of malnourished newborn accounted for a total of 133, for a global prevalence (SGA, AGA, LGA neonates) of 28.9% (CI 95% = 24.9%-33.2%), while the adjusted prevalence (AGA, SGA neonates) amounted to 35.1% (CI 95% = 30.5%-40.1%). 70% of the AGA neonates were found well-nourished, while the remaining 30% were malnourished. Among the SGA neonates, 79.4% were malnourished, while the remaining 20.6% were well-nourished. Conclusions: The prevalence of fetal malnutrition in our study does not differ significatively from that reported in other regions of Latin America, where social and economic conditions are similar to those of our region.
Deodhar J, Jarad R. Study of the prevalence of and high risk factors for fetal malnutrition in term newborns. Ann Trop Paediatr 1999; 19 (3): 273-277.
Crosby W. Studies in fetal malnutrition. Am J Dis Child 1991; 145 (8): 871-876.
Scott KK, Usher RH. Epiphyseal development in fetal malnutrition syndrome. N Eng J Med 1964; 270: 822-824.
Hill RM, Verniaud WM, Deter RL et al. The effect of intrauterine malnutrition on the term infant: A 14-year prospective study. Acta Paediatr Scand 1984; 73: 482-487.
Gosselin J, Amiel-Tisson C, Infante-Rivard C, Fouron JC. Minor neurological signs and developmental performance in high risk children at preschool age. Dev Med Child Neurol 2002; 44 (5): 323-328.
Metcoff J. Clinical assessment of nutritional status at birth. Pediatr Clin North Am 1994; 41 (5): 875-891.
Scott KK, Usher RH. Fetal malnutrition: its incidence, causes, and effects. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1966; 94: 951-963.
Usher RH. Clinical and therapeutic aspects of fetal malnutrition. In: Davis A, Dobbing J (eds). Scientific Foundations of Pediatrics. Londres: Heinemann; 1974.
McLean F, Usher R. Measurements of liveborn fetal malnutrition infants compared with similar gestation and similar birth weight controls. Biol Neonate 1970; 16: 215-221.
Brenner WE, Edelman DA, Hendricks CH. A standard of fetal growth for the United States of America. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1976; 126: 555-564.
Dubowitz LMS, Dubowitz V, Goldberg C. Clinical assessment of gestational age in the newborn infant. J Pediatr 1970; 77: 1-10.
Romano DMF, Barbella S, Callegari C, Kolster C. Evaluación nutricional del recién nacido a término: Aplicación de una metodología clínica para diferenciar desnutrición fetal y pequeño para la edad gestacional. Arch Ven Puer Ped 2003; 66 (4): 8-15.
Fletcher MA. Physical assessment and classification. En: Avery GB, Fletcher MA, MacDonald MG, editores. Neonatology: Pathophysiology and management of the newborn. 4a ed. Philadelphia, PA: JB Lippincott; 1994. p. 325-31.
Informe de un Comité de Expertos de la OMS. El estado físico: Uso e interpretación de la antropometría. Ginebra: Organización Mundial de la Salud, 1995: 151-154.
Niño JA, Torres S, Chacón MC, Martínez O, Reyes ME, Carrión B. Valoración nutricional en el recién nacido. Lecturas sobre Nutrición 1998; 5 (2): 31-43.
Capurro H, Konichezky S, Fonseca D, Caldeyro-Barcia R. A simplified method for diagnosis of gestational age in the newborn infant. J Pediatr 1978; 93: 120-122.
Global Forum for Health Research. The 10/90 Report on Health Research 2001-2002. Ginebra: World Health Organization; 2002. p. 181-186.
McLellan R, Novak D. Fetal malnutrition: How we become what we are. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001; 33 (3): 233-44.
Karatekin G, Kutan AF, Nuhoglu A. Catch-up growth in fetal malnourished term infants. J Perinat Med 2002; 30 (5): 411-415.
Thompson CO, Vega FL. Sensibilidad y especificidad del índice ponderal de Rohrer en el diagnóstico de la desnutrición intrauterina. Rev Mex Pediatr 2000; 67: 255-258.
Caiza-Sánchez ME, Diaz-Rosselló JL, Simini F. Ponderal index to describe a term neonatal population. An Pediatr (Barc) 2003; 59 (1): 48-53.
Adebami OJ, Owa JA. Comparison between CANSCORE and other anthropometric indicators in fetal malnutrition. Indian J Pediatr 2008; 75 (5): 439-442.
Scrimshaw NS. The relation between fetal malnutrition and chronic disease in later life. BMJ 1997; 315: 825-826.
Henriksen T, Clausen T. The fetal origin hypothesis: Placental insufficiency and inheritance versus maternal malnutrition in well-nourished populations. Acta Obstetr Gynecol Scand 2002; 81: 112-114.
Alexander BT. Placental insufficiency leads to development of hypertension in growth-restricted offspring. Hypertension 2003; 41(3): 457-462.
Neil RP. Birth weights, maternal cardiovascular events and Barker hypothesis. Lancet 2001; 357: 1990-1991.
Money CM, Tucker B, Vohr BR. Metabolic syndrome in childhood: Association with birth weight, maternal obesity, and gestational diabetes mellitus. Pediatrics 2006; 115: 290-296.
Leduc L, Levy E, Bouity-Voubou, Delvin E. Fetal programming of atherosclerosis: Possible role of the mitochondria. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2010; 149(2): 127-130.
McMillen IC, Robinson JS. Developmental origins of the metabolic syndrome: prediction, plasticity, and programming. Physiol Rev 2005; 85: 571-633.
Stocker CJ, Cawthorne MA. The influence of leptin on early life programming of obesity. Trends Biotechnol 2008; 26: 545-551.
Brianna DD, Malamitsi-Puchner A. Intrauterine growth restriction and adult disease: The role of adipocytokines. Eur J Endocrinol 2009; 160: 337-347.
Evans SC. Nutritional programming of disease: unraveling the mechanism. J Anatom 2009; 215: 36-51.
Yajnik CS. Nutrient-mediated teratogenesis and fuel-mediated teratogenesis: two pathways of intrauterine programming of diabetes. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2009; 104 (suppl): S-27-S-31.
Morrison JL, Duffield JA, Muhlhausler BS, Gentili S, McMillen IC. Fetal growth restriction, catch-up growth and the early origins of insulin resistance and visceral obesity. Pediatr Nephrol 2010; 25(4): 669-677.