2005, Number 2
PDF size: 73.95 Kb.
ABSTRACTIntroduction: Malignant melanoma (MM) is an aggressive neoplasm that may affect pregnant women. Malignant melanoma with small-cell morphology (MMSCM) is a rare variant of MM that can cause confusion in its diagnosis.
Objective: To report a fatal case of MMSCM in a pregnant woman, highlighting immunohistoche-mistry (IHC) as a very useful tool in the final diagnosis.
Clinical case: A 22-year-old pregnant female pre-sented with a 5-cm cutaneous tumor in her right leg. The lesion was excised but the patient refused any further therapy. The natural outcome of this neoplasm occurred with local recurrence and multiple metastases to the lungs, liver, and kidneys.
Conclusions: MM should be included in the diffe-rential diagnosis of small-cell cutaneous tumor, and IHC is mandatory for diagnosis confirmation. The recommended suggested screening includes, as a minimum, one sensitive marker (S-100 protein) and one specific (HMB45) marker for melanogenesis.
1. Pavlidis NA. Coexistence of pregnancy and malig-nancy. Oncologist 2002;7(6):585-588.
2. Diepgen TL, Mahler V. The epidemiology of skin cancer. Br Assoc Dermatologists 2002;146 (Suppl 61):1-6.
3. MacLennan R, Green AC, McLeod GR, Martin NG. Increasing incidence of cutaneous melanoma in Queensland, Australia. J Natl Cancer Inst 1992;84: 1427-1432.
4. Walter SD, King WD, Marrett LD. Association of cutaneous malignant melanoma with intermittent exposure to ultraviolet radiation: results of a case-control study in Ontario. Can Int J Epidemiol 1999; 28:418-427.
5. Goessling W, McKee P, Mayer R. Merkel cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2002;20(2):588-598.
6. Weisz B, Schiff E, Lishner M. Cancer in pregnancy: maternal and fetal implications. Hum Reprod Update 2001;7(4):384-393.
7. Travers RL, Sober AJ, Berwick M, Mihm MC jr, Barnhill RL, Duncan LM. Increased thickness of pregnancy-associated melanoma. Br J Dermatol 1993; 3:44.
8. George PA, Fortner JG, Pack GT. Melanoma with pregnancy: a report of 115 cases. Cancer 1960;13: 854-859.
9. Katz VL, Farmer RM, Dotters D. Focus on primary care. From nevus to neoplasm: myths of melanoma in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Surv 2002;57(2):112-119.
Daryanani D, Plukker JT, De Hullu JA, Kuiper H, Nap RE, Hoekstra HJ. Pregnancy and early-stage melanoma. Cancer 2003;97(9):2248-2253.
Banerjee SS, Harris M. Morphological and immuno-phenotypic variations in malignant melanoma. Histopathology 2000;36(5):387-402.
Xu X, Chu A, Pasha T, Elder D, Zhang P. Immuno-profile of MiTF, tyrosinase, Melan-A, and MAGE-1 in HMB45-negative melanomas. Am J Surg Pathol 2002;26(1):82-87.
Wallon-Dumon G, Dreno B. The clinical diagnosis of melanoma. Press Med 2003;32(1):33-38.
Lang PG. Current concepts in the management of patients with melanoma. Am J Clin Dermatol 2002; 3(6):401-426.